This sweet bread is easy to make and modify for gift giving
My family has a sweet bread recipe that we’ve been using since the 1970’s. We call it A to Z Bread at my house. My mom isn’t sure where she got it but it has been a standby for gift giving and family gatherings as long as I can remember. Our holiday’s wouldn’t be the same without it.
You can add nuts, chocolate chips, crushed peppermint or coconut.
You can change the type and amount of spices. I always add twice the amount of cinnamon and any other spices I think will taste good. Pumpkin pie spice is especially nice!
The only thing we haven’t tried is adding something savory, like onion or cheese. That would be a fun experiment to do this year!
But wait…What is A to Z? Anything flavorful that you want to use. Here are some suggestions of breads that have been a hit at our house:
- Mandarin Orange
- Sweet Potato
The possibilities are endless. Any item you think would be a good addition can be added where this sweet bread recipe calls for A to Z.
A to Z Sweet Bread Recipe
- -3 cups white flour
- -1 teaspoon salt
- -1 teaspoon baking soda
- -3 teaspoons cinnamon
- -1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- -3 eggs
- -1 cup vegetable oil
- -2 cups sugar
- -2 cups A to Z
- -3 teaspoons vanilla
- -1 cup nuts (optional)
- -Preheat oven to 325 degrees
- -Grease and flour 2 loaf pans
- -Thoroughly mix dry ingredients and set aside
- -Beat eggs
- -Add oil and sugar and cream well
- -Add the A to Z and vanilla, cream well
- -Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients with a heavy spoon
- -Separate into the 2 loaf pans and cook until a toothpick comes out clean, approximately 1 hour
Shared with: Clever Chicks Hop –