These 10 disaster apps just might save your life!
Isn’t technology wonderful! Every day businesses create new ways for you to learn about local and global disasters, stay connected with those you care about, and get a handle on what it means to be prepared. A disaster app is what you need.
These 10 free disaster applications install easily in your smartphone. While you may not use all 10 at once, there is certain to be 3 or 4 apps that you can’t live without.
Related: 10 Principles of Preparedness
- Disaster Alert by the Pacific Disaster Center provides mobile access to multi-hazard monitoring of and early warning for active hazards around the world.
- First Aid by American Red Cross is one of my favorite apps and I highly recommend it. They also have Hurricane, Wildfire, Earthquake, and Tornado apps. The first aid app gives you simple, step-by-step instructions on what to do for any medical emergency. If you live in an area prone to one of these natural disasters, you should have the app!
- Global Emergency Overview is an app that allows you to quickly browse through different countries and find out what is going on.
- Humanitarian Kiosk was created by the United Nations and provides a range of up-to-the-minute humanitarian related emergencies from around the world.
- Real Time Warning offers warnings about disasters around the world. You select an event to see its location, damage, severity and rumble radius on a world map. Especially handy of you have family and friends living in another country.
- Earthquake Alert gives information about earthquakes with a magnitude of 1.0 and up in the USA, and a magnitude 4.0 anywhere else in the world.
- Siren GPS lets you contact emergency services with the tap of a button. It will instantly give them your exact location and personal details. Wonderful for those that like to adventure in out of the way places.
- When you push the Red Panic Button, this app will email or text your GPS coordinates and a link to Google Map to people you have previously set up. Like to hike or backpack in the wilderness? This is for you!
- Life 360 allows you and your family to set up a private network, then with the click of a button, you can let your family know where you are and if you’re safe.
- In the event of an emergency at work, Guardly enables you to receive emergency and operational alerts from your company or your security team. No more guessing.
Related: Those Wonderful Red Cross Apps
These 10 disaster apps are available on both Apple and Android. Find just the right combination to keep you safe and informed in the event of an emergency. What is your favorite disaster app and why?