Think it’s just for toenails – think again! 25 Uses for Epsom Salts
Magnesium Sulfate, aka Epsom Salt, is one of the worlds hidden wonders! It gets it’s name from the place it was discovered, Epsom England, a small borough in Surrey, where the salt was produced from the springs that bubble up and meet non-porous London clay.
“Epsom salt is made up of magnesium and sulfate, which can help improve health in numerous ways. A lack of magnesium—which helps regulate the activity of more than 300 enzymes in the body—can contribute to high blood pressure, hyperactivity, heart problems and other health issues, doctors warn. Sulfate is essential for many biological processes, helping to flush toxins and helping form proteins in joints, brain tissue and mucin proteins.” Epsom Salt Council
Think its just for bath salts and in-grown toe nails – think again! This little sprinkle of natural goodness is as versatile as MacGyver.
Epsom Salt can be found at your local grocery store, pharmacy and even your garden supply store. It has a wide array of uses, and although each may be manufactured differently they are all the same chemically. Usually a two and a half pound container will run you $3 more or less.
For the Garden
1. Get Rid of Raccoon’s – If the masked marauders are poking around your trash can, take a few tablespoons of Epsom salt and spread it around the cans. It will deter that pesky raccoon; they don’t like the smell of the stuff. Remember to reapply after it rains.
2. Deter Slugs - Sprinkle Epsom salt where they glide and say good bye!
3. Make your grass greener – Epsom salt, which adds needed magnesium and iron to your soil, may be the answer to your green lawn. Add 2 tablespoons to 1 gallon to water. Spread on your lawn with a garden sprayer and make sure it soaks into the grass.
4. Bigger, better, and more produce – Studies have shown Epsom salt increases production of peppers, tomatoes and blooms. 1 T per a gallon of water sprayed on your plants every 1-2 weeks can create show stoppers.
5. Soil prep – 1 cup per 100 feet will help create the perfect gardening mix for this summers bounty. Use a fertilizer spreader and mix into soil. Find more information at Gardening Know How.
For the Home
6. Clean bathroom tiles – Epsom salt will get rid of that grungy look. Mix it in equal parts with liquid dish soap, then dab it onto the offending areas and start scrubbing. Epsom salts work with the detergent to scrub and dissolve the grime.
7. Remove burnt food from pots and pans – Scrub pan with about 1/4 tablespoon of Epsom salt and some warm water and rinse. Viola!
8. Regenerate a car battery – Give your battery a little more life with this potion – Dissolve an ounce of Epsom salt in warm water to make a paste and add it to each battery cell.
9. Frost your windows for Christmas – Mix 1 1/2 cups boiling water with 1 cup Epsom salt and 3 Tablespoons of liquid dish soap. Apply the mixture to your windows with a sponge – for a realistic look, sweep the sponge in a arc at the bottom corners. When the mixture dries, the windows will look frosted.
10. Do some awesome winter crafting thanks to Epsom salt and modge podge.
11. Face cleaner – To clean your face at night, mix a half teaspoon of Epsom salt with your regular cleansing cream. Just massage into skin and rinse with cold water
12. Homemade skin mask – Puree 1 Egg white, 1/2 Teaspoon Pantothenic acid powder (Vitamin B5), 1 Teaspoon Aloe Vera gel, 1 Teaspoon Epsom salt, 1 Ripe Tomato, chopped, and 2 drops Thyme oil. Apply to face for 15 minutes then rinse off. This is especially good for acne problems.
13. Foot Soak – Sooth aches, remove odors and soften rough skin with a foot soak. Add 1/2 cup of Epsom salt to a large pan of warm water. Soak feet for as long as the water is warm. Rinse and dry. Also helps with toe nail fungus, like athlete’s foot.
14. Skin exfoliate – Massage handfuls of Epsom salt over your wet skin, starting with your feet and continuing up towards the face. Have a bath to rinse.
15. Remove excess oil from hair – Epsom salt soaks up excess oil from your hair. Add 9 tablespoons of Epsom salt to 1/2 cup of oily hair shampoo. Apply one tablespoon of the liquid to your hair when dry; rinse with cold water. Pour lemon juice or organic apple cider vinegar through the hair, leave on for 5-10 minutes, then rinse.
16. Hair volumizer – Combine equal parts of deep conditioner and Epsom salt. Warm in a pan. Work the warm mixture through your hair and leave on for 20 minutes. Rinse.
17. Soak sprains and bruises – Epsom salt will reduce the swelling of sprains and bruises. Add 2 cups of Epsom salt to a warm bath and soak.
18. Splinter remover – Soak in Epsom salt, it will draw out the splinter.
19. Get rid of blackheads – Here’s a surefire way to dislodge blackheads – Mix 1 teaspoon of Epsom salt and 3 drops Lugol’s Solution liquid iodine in 1/2 cup boiling water. When the mixture cools enough to stick your finger in it, apply it to the blackhead with a cotton ball. Repeat this three to four times, reheating the solution of necessary. Gently remove the blackhead and then dab the area with an alcohol based astringent.
20. General stress relief – Nothing draws out stress like bath salts. As the magnesium soaks into your body it reverses the effects of stress on your body, replenishing magnesium levels, decreasing adrenaline, and producing serotonin. Make your own bath salts by mixing 16 ounces all-natural bath salt and 15-30 drops of essential oil (especially those that induce relaxation). Store in a glass jar and use 3 times a week for maximum results!
21. Relieve gout pain and inflammation – 2-3 teaspoons of Epsom salts into a basin of hot water (as hot as you can stand). Soak for about 30 minutes
22. The new aloe vera – Use on mosquito bites, bee stings, mild sunburn and poison ivy by soaking a cotton washcloth in a cold water Epsom salt solution (2 tablespoons per cup) for the affected area.
23. Eye health -Rinse your face with a solution of Epsom salt and warm water can help heal cataracts, conjunctivitis, and sties.
24. Detox (aka laxative) – Mix approximately 2 tsp. of Epsom salts in 1 cup of warm water until it dissolves, then drink. Do not repeat this cleanse more than once per day, and always drink extra water!
25. Grow more – Add 1/4 cup Epsom salts (magnesium sulfate) to 1/2 cup boiling water stir until it dissolves. Pour over sponge in shallow dish and place in a warm sunny spot. As the water evaporates your crystals will grow. Just be sure to check crystals against the original before “harvesting.”
26. BONUS – Take a detox bath with this herbal remedy.
Does it really work? Why yes! This old time remedy really does wonders for you garden, home and body. Don’t miss out on it’s marvelous benefits. What is your favorite way to use Epsom salt? Share your favorite Epsom Salt uses on our Facebook page.